Tuesday 2 October 2012

Recycled Items Challenge

Good morning all from a very cold and miserable Taupo!! A friend of mine in Australia contacted me, about a year ago, with an idea of a Swap group between a few of her friends in the Melbourne area in Australia. Its nothing big or professional as we are all beginners to Scrapbooking but thought it would be a great idea to see each others interpretation of a challenge. These have been lots of fun and I have loaded all the challenges so far on a page on the left hand side of my blog (Swap group from Australia). But to get back to the point - the latest challenge is to make anything from recycled items. I got thinking about what I could use and decided to see just how many I could use in one challenge. I decided to make a "Mini Album" and these are recycled items I decided to use: Toilet roll inners: These are the pages of the album, painted with acrylic paint and covered with scraps of paper from the KAISERCRAFT "SWEET NOTHINGS" collection of paper. This set I got with a card class held by Hastings Rubber stamps in Rotorua earlier in the year. Secondly, plastic shopping bags: I watched a Youtube video by Physcomom,a while ago which showed you how to make "Plaper" - sorry I think that is how you spell it. But basically its paper that you make from plastic shopping bags. Anyway getting back to the project, the rose on the front of the album is made from a white plastic shopping bag and normally I would paint these to give it colour but I really liked the natural look of the plastic for this one. If you do want to paint your roses I would suggest that you paint it with "Gesso" which is a base coat that makes the plastic "chalky" and then the paint will stick better to your flower. Thirdly, Soda pop cans although very sharp and dangerous emboss beautifully and leave a very prominent design and the label on the cover is made from recycled soda pop cans. Fourth: The covers are made from cereal box's and covered with the Kaisercraft "Sweet Nothings" collection paper as well and matching cardstock. Butterflies are stamps from the Kaisercraft Tigerlily stamp set and colour in with the Spectrum Noir blending pens and embossed with clear embossing powder. The sentiments are from a stamp set bought off Trademe but I cannot remember what the name of the set was as I have thrown away the packaging by accident. All in all - there are 4 recycled items used on this project but I also decided to use up scraps of paper from another projects. So the only thing that is not recycled is the tags inside the pages. Let me know what you think!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment